Applying for the Degree

Biomedical Science Degree - Applying for the Degree

If you're now wondering how I managed to get onto my course, read ahead, as I'll be talking about the steps I took from GCSEs all the way to September 2020, when I started my degree.

So, GCSEs. At 16, I had just completed my GCSEs and had no idea on what I wanted to do next. I was originally not looking to do A-levels, and was trying to find an apprenticeship or some kind of work opportunity, but I just had no idea what type of field or route I wanted to go down. I had interests in a range of fields; science, health, environmental, administrative and legal. I'd looked for apprenticeships everywhere and had emailed a hundred companies, but there were just no opportunities for me in the area I lived. I spoke to the careers advisor at school -which was no help at all! - so I just winged it. 

I chose to stay on and do my A-levels, because I had nothing else to do. I'd just gotten a new job at this time, so that was honestly my main focus, as I really enjoyed it there. For my A-levels, I chose Biology, Geography, Public Services and, as I was in Wales, I had to do the Welsh Baccalaureate. During this time, I had to start thinking about what I wanted to do afterwards. I had no interest in university in year 12 and fully intended to finish my A-levels and then carry on with my job full-time, however this was not something my mum and dad were too pleased to hear about. So, I started my UCAS application and thought about the courses I might want to study. You're allowed to chose 5 courses, and because of my interest in science and healthcare/medicine, I applied to do biomedical science, medical science and biology with psychology, and as I did geography at A-level, I also chose environmental science and geography with biology. Usually, you generally have to choose really similar or even the same subjects, because you're supposed to write one personal statement that's sent to all the universities you've applied to. However, as I was so unsure as to what to do, I decided to try and make my personal statement specific, but not too focused on one of the courses.

My personal statement must've been 'OK', as I was accepted onto all the courses I applied for. I now had yet another round of decision making, as I now had to choose my first choice and my second/insurance choice. This meant that if I were to get the required grades in the summer, I'd be going to my first choice, and if I just fell short, I still had the insurance. It also meant, however, that I had to decline the other 3 course offers. As is clear from my blog, one of the degrees I chose was a BSc in Biomedical Science, which I made my first choice. I made my insurance choice a BSc degree in Environmental Sciences. I had now made my decisions, so there was nothing else to do but study and wait until my exams...

HOWEVER - I didn't have to do them in the end. I was supposed to study these subject until around June 2020, but because of COVID-19, they were cut short and I finished in March that year. Half of me was relieved as I didn't have to actually sit the exams, but the other half of me was a little annoyed, because I'd spent so long studying and for nothing. Thankfully, I didn't have to worry about my grades, as I was awarded pretty decent ones. I got a B in both Biology and Geography, and A in the Welsh Baccalaureate and a Distinction* in Public Services. As I got the entry requirements needed for the BSc Biomedical Science course (a B or better in Biology and a minimum of 112 UCAS points), I made the final arrangements and then I was confirmed to start the course in September. 

I spent the months between in lockdown - as you probably did as well! - waiting for any email or letter from the university. Up until around August, I hadn't heard much from the university in terms of start dates for my course, so I was quite anxious, but I finally got a letter with my student ID and an official welcome letter with my starting dates etc. so my anxiety was relieved slightly. Now that I knew I'd be starting in mid-September, I was just hoping there wouldn't be any more 'announcements' from the Government about closing universities or anything. Thankfully, there weren't any and I moved into my accommodation and started my course. 

Although I was so uncertain at the end of GCSEs with what to do with my future, I definitely feel like I've made the right choice. I mean, if I'd decided to work instead of going to uni. that would've definitely backfired, as all the restaurants were closed for 5 months! So I definitely feel lucky and am definitely happy with the choice I made. All I would say is to not worry about A-levels and uni. degrees, if you are unsure about what to do like I was, because it will (probably) all work out in the end. Just try and pick something you enjoy doing, whether that's university, an apprenticeship or working full-time. 

Comments